A grant is gift aid that does not have to be repaid as long as eligibility is maintained. Whenever criteria and funding levels permit, a student's financial aid award includes grants.

Federal Pell Grants are federally funded awards. All financial aid applicants are required to apply for a Pell Grant each year by following the instructions in the financial aid application packet. Recipients must maintain good academic standing and make satisfactory academic progress. Eligibility for a Pell Grant is determined by the federal government according to a formula developed by the Department of Education and approved annually by Congress. All applicants are notified via a document, the "Student Aid Report" (SAR). Grants range from $400 to $5550, depending on unit enrollment, expected family contribution (EFC), and cost of attendance at College of the Siskiyous.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) are federally funded awards designed to supplement other sources of financial aid for students who qualify for additional assistance. These grants range from $100 to $4,000*. All applicants are automatically considered for this award.
(*COS annual maximum is $500.)

Disbursement Schedules for Pell, FSEOG

Not all forms of financial aid are disbursed the same way or at the same time. Pell Grants are disbursed twice a semester; once at the beginning of the semester and once in the middle of the semester. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) are disbursed once each semester. For students who reside in the dormitory, all grant checks, scholarship checks, or loan monies will be applied to the balance on the student's housing contract. Any remaining funds will be disbursed to the student.

All financial aid recipients must pre register for classes at least four weeks before school starts in order to be paid on the first regular grant disbursement date. Any student failing to pre register will not be paid until the first supplemental grant disbursement date. This policy will apply to all academic terms; preregistration dates for fall and spring semesters are available in the Admissions & Records Office and in the fall and spring class schedules.

In general, the College of the Siskiyous aims to pay grant aid twice per term:  Once on the first day of classes and once after the end of the drop period. In between these major payment dates, payments occur approximately bi-weekly to allow for students who missed a prior payment to “catch up” on the disbursement schedule.

Grants: Cal Grants A, B, C

Cal Grants are awarded by the California Student Aid Commission and may be renewed each year. All students who are California residents are encouraged to apply

Cal Grant A helps low- and middle income students with tuition/fee costs. Grant recipients are selected on the basis of financial need and grade point average.

If you qualify for a Cal Grant A and want to attend College of the Siskiyous, the Student Aid Commission will hold your award until the transfer to a four-year college, provided that you continue to qualify.

To be eligible for a new (first time) Cal Grant A, a student may not have completed more than six semesters or nine quarters of college study, and must enroll at least half time.

Cal Grant B awards are based on financial need and are made to entering students, primarily from low-income backgrounds. About half of all new Cal Grant B recipients are expected to begin their college education in a public community college. Therefore, the Cal Grant B award for freshmen is usually limited to the non tuition costs of attending college--help with living expenses, books and supplies, transportation, etc. When renewed by sophomores, juniors, and seniors, a Cal Grant B may also cover all or part of tuition/fee costs.

Cal Grant C awards help vocational students with tuition/fee and training costs. Recipients must be enrolled in a vocational program at a community college, an independent college, or a vocational school, and must be in a program of study from four months to two years in length. Contact your high-school counselor or the College of the Siskiyous Financial Aid Office for more information about vocational areas that qualify.

Disbursement schedule: Cal Grant A, B & C

Cal Grant B checks are disbursed twice per semester: at the beginning of the semester and in the middle of the semester. Cal Grant C checks are disbursed once at the beginning of each semester.

Board of governors waivers (BOGW)

Board of Governors Waivers (BOGW) are awarded to students who need assistance paying enrollment fees. If you are a California resident, you may be eligible for a BOGW if you meet any one of these criteria:

  • You have established eligibility for financial aid
  • You or your family are receiving AFDC, SSI, or General Assistance/General Relief
  • You are a dependent of a deceased or disabled veteran who is eligible for benefits under the California Veterans Dependents Educational Assistance program
  • Your family's income (family of four) is $35,775 or less; or you are a self-supporting student with an income of $17,505 or less
Board of Governors Fee Waiver Program
2015-2016 Income Standards
Family Size 2014 Income
1 $17,505
2 $23,595
3 $29,685
4 $35,775
5 $41,865
6 $47,955
7 $54,045
8 $60,135
Each Addtional Family Member $6,090

These standards are based upon the federal poverty guidelines as published each year by the US Department of Health and Human Services. Under Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations, the income standards for the BOGW program equal 150% of the federal poverty guidelines for the base year.

These standards are for the 2015-2016 academic year and are to be used to determine BOGW A or B eligibility EFFECTIVE July 1, 2015.

Students may also be eligible for BOGW C through the Financial Aid Office if the student has at least $1,104 of unmet need.

Once you have qualified for a BOGW, your enrollment fees will be paid for the rest of the school year, including summer. Refunds for BOGW must be requested DURING the semester for which the request is being filed. BOGW refund requests for any semester will NOT be processed after the last day of the semester. Contact the Financial Aid Office to initiate the refund process. BOGW is intended to financially help a student who would not be able to attend school without the waiver. Once the semester is over it is assumed that the student was able to pay and in fact did pay.

Need help? Contact Financial Aid

Phone: (530) 938-5209(530) 938-5209
Fax: (530) 938-5367